Monday, July 31, 2017

Skirting the Issue 2017

It has been another busy July.  What with Scout camp, Cub camp, and family camping two weeks in a row, I didn't think I'd have time to participate in Skirting the Issue, Simple Simon's annual project collecting handmade skirts, quilts, and pillowcases for foster children.  But today, on the last day of July, birthday of one of the more famous fictional foster children in the world, Harry Potter, I made some time.  Between laundry and plum processing, I whipped out a pillowcase. 
Last time I participated, I was lucky enough to receive a prize package containing one-yard samples of Simple Simon's first fabric line, Four Corners.  So it seemed appropriate to use some of that fabric for this pillowcase.  I love the overlapping circles.
I also used them to bind this baby blanket, made of the large Southwestern focus print.  It reminds me of visiting my grandparents in New Mexico.
 I used the arrows print to make myself a shirt.  One yard of this snazzy fabric was not quite sufficient for the pattern I had in mind, so I added some white cloth that I had on hand. 
It ended up forming my initial, T, on the back.  Shall I claim it as a signature look?

It has been fun to sew with these fabrics.  I've yet to use the pattern that came with them, but I think it's going to be a Christmas present this year.  Thanks, ladies!

3 comments:

  1. That looks like a nice breezy top for a mild summer day. Have you had any of those lately? (In Utah we had the hottest July on record, but it was only hotter by a degree or two--your season may be somewhat more unseasonal.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Mild" and "breezy"--not so much. With extra heat, and haze from Canadian wildfires, it's actually feeling more like a Baltimore summer. It's still less humid here, though.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sewing along again....and I LOVE the items you made from that fabric! How cool!!!

    ReplyDelete