Monday, June 3, 2019

Rainbow Ripple Baby Blanket

My friend asked me to crochet an afghan for her sister's baby, and sent me a picture she'd found on Pinterest.  I haven't been able to find that particular shot, so I won't share it with you, but it was a ripple afghan in rainbow colors, with white ripples in between.  It looked like a fun project.

To make sure I got the ripples right, I followed the Easy Ripple Afghan by SusanB.  I used my favorite I hook, and (mostly) Red Heart Super Saver yarn.  I stitched two rows in each color, alternating Soft White with these colors:
  • Dark Orchid
  • Medium Purple
  • Royal
  • Turqua
  • Paddy Green
  • Tea Leaf
  • Cornmeal
  • Lemon
  • Carrot
  • Red Heart With Love Tigerlily
  • Burgundy
  • Cherry Red
  • Light Raspberry
  • Baby Pink
I followed the pattern for a 40 inch wide afghan, envisioning a standard 40"x60" size.  By the time I'd gone through all the colors once, the blanket was more of a square.  My friend thought 40"x40" was a good size, so I finished it off with three rounds of single crochet in Soft White.  If you want a longer afghan, I'd recommend stitching three rows in each color, or starting the colors over again until you reach the size you like.  

I used about 12 ounces of Soft White yarn, and about half an ounce of each color.  So I have plenty of colors left for more Rainbow Ripple baby blankets, or other vibrant projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment