Sunday, November 8, 2009

'Tis the Season

Last Monday evening, November 2nd, I took a short drive.  On the way, the large windows of one store clearly showcased the holiday displays, already in place, and I could see the employees stringing up Christmas lights.  A few years ago, I would have scoffed.  But now, as Ward Choir Pianist, I know that this is already the season to practice Christmas songs.  This will be my 4th Christmas as choir pianist, supporting the 5th choir director of my tenure.  One director missed Christmas, but otherwise, we've had one a year.  Is it a jinxed calling?  Well, three of the choir directors moved out of apartments and into their own homes outside the ward.  The other was transferred to a climate she prefers.  I don't know the new director well enough to know whether there is anywhere else she'd rather be, but I'm sure she'll receive her reward.  She's had me start on three pieces: "Shine for Me Again: Star of Bethlehem," "Little Baby Jesus, All the World Will Love You," and a cool setting of "The First Noel" (which we practiced last year, but didn't perform).  So I've been plunking away at them, hoping to be fairly steady when the choir begins practicing.  And when I heard holiday strains wafting through the fabric store on Friday, it didn't faze me.

No comments:

Post a Comment