I checked out a book from the library, which was good for general serging information, but my first attempts didn't go too well. So I ordered a user manual from Singer. It didn't give much more detailed information, but I loaded up four colors of thread, adjusted the tension more carefully, and came up with some perfect samples. It was time for a real project.
this site. I also added a layer of denim in the bottom. I switched the thread back to all white, and serged up the interior seams. This time the serging was not so perfect. The stitches were pretty even, but would skip in some places. Or one of the needles would unthread itself. I still don't understand what happened. But the seams are neat, and hopefully strong.
There wasn't as much of the green plaid material, so I'll need to change the design a bit. I can't say I mastered the serger during National Serger Month, but I'm glad I got started with it.