here. Naturally, I thought the price was a bit steep for a Halloween costume, so I offered to make him one. Maybe I shouldn't have. The materials cost nearly that much (thank goodness for coupons), and I didn't have a commercial pattern to work with. But I plunged in. I drew out one of those tiny Lutterloh patterns for a women's coat with a tall collar and a zipper, and straightened it out to make it more manly. I had the sense to cut out the flannel lining pieces first and baste them together for fitting. Good thing--I had to put more curves back in for my skinny boy. He said he wanted it to be warm and that he'd wear it on other occasions. So I quilted some batting onto the flannel, added pockets, and cut the outer pieces from a wool blend. And it came together pretty well. It is definitely warm, and poofier than intended--I should have used a more compact batting. I also should have done the button flap differently, but I made it work.
pins. The coat was too warm for Scoot to wear to the Halloween dance, and he was doing his duty at the football game during the trunk-or-treat. But he wore it for the piano recital (where one of the adult students recognized his outfit right away) and for trick-or-treating, and he looked quite dashing.
It's so fun to be creative for Halloween!
Parable of the Pit
5 weeks ago