Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Caterpillar's Cosplay

The Caterpillar has been spending more time in the sewing room lately than I have.  He's joined "the friendliest zombie-killing maniacs in your neighborhood" at the Dystopia Rising live action role playing game a couple of times now, so he needed a rough and ready costume.  He bought the basic layers and the leather vest at a thrift store, and distressed them himself, rather successfully, I think.
More impressively, he designed and made this satchel out of synthetic leather, yarn, and a few beads.  He asked me for some advice, and I helped him get started.  But he now has more fake-leather sewing experience than I do. He sewed loops of yarn into the seam allowance.  Then he cut the loops on the outside, unraveled the strands, and brushed the yarn (with my good bristle brush) to make it furry.  The bag looks good, and holds the stuff he needs during the game.  It turned out well.
He also made this hood with synthetic leather and yarn.  He made a pattern from one of his jackets, and figured out how to sew it all together.
It doesn't sound like my kind of game.  But I'm really pleased that the Caterpillar used his creativity to accomplish something cool.  Even if it left a big mess in the sewing room.


1 comment:

  1. It's great that he's learning a talent along with his interests. I have family that are involved with the cosplay, but most want to spend money for their costumes.

    ReplyDelete