Saturday, August 28, 2010

First Tomato

A friend shared with me some of her mother's advice:  "If you can't pronounce it, you should not put it in or on your body."  This seems pretty sound to me, considering things like iodopropynyl butylcarbamate or methylisothiazolinone.  But I hope it need not apply to this tomato.  Its name is Malakhitovaya Shkatulka. 
Can you say that? 
It is a Russian variety, named for the resemblance of its innards to the green malachite boxes made in its native land.  This first specimen was not quite as bright green as I'd expected, but it certainly was delicious.  I look forward to opening more of these treasure boxes soon!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting looking tomato! I'm glad it tasted good!!! ;o) Where the heck did you find the seeds/plants for it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, at rareseeds.com. They also provided the seeds for my purple beans, yellow peas and carrots, and more tomatoes that are supposed to be pink. I wish I had more space so I could try more of their seeds. Check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a gorgeous tomato! I love trying all the varieties. Thanks for stopping by my place!

    ReplyDelete