Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Radiant Mantelet

When I ordered this yarn I had no idea that Radiant Orchid would be selected as Pantone's Color of the Year for 2014.  I felt pretty fashion-forward when I found out.  That is not natural for me.  It was definitely more characteristic for me to not really wear it until new colors had come out.  Twice.

I used it to crochet Lizzy's Lace Mantelet, from Austentatious Crochet.  Sadly, this pattern gave me more trouble than its sisters have.  I had gauge problems, as usual, and tried a few different hooks.  Then I took the project on a trip, where it comforted several idle hours.  Some distraction made me skip a round early on, and by the time I noticed the problem, the product looked like a hat, not a disk.  I took it out and tried again, increasing hook sizes as I went.  Eventually, I completed the final round and tried it on.  And it just didn't hang right.
Most of the interest is in the layers on the back, you see.  It wasn't really layering on me.  So I took it out again, all the way back to the armholes.  I set the armholes closer together for my narrow shoulders, and tried again.  This time I was happy when I finished. 

I tried wearing the mantelet a couple of times, but it didn't really go with the outfits I selected.  A little over two years after choosing the yarn, I have sewed myself a simple gray dress.  It supports the soft, warm, lacy radiance quite well.



3 comments:

  1. Nice work. I quite like the simple gray dress, too. That's a classic color, but I don't know when it was last voted color of the year.

    (I hope this isn't too personal, but that hair length is just right for the mantelet, isn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    This year the featured colors are pink and blue, which remind me of other people's kitchens in the 1980s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. better than kitchens of the 70's. confidential to Wabei: please don't tell mom. i only like to eat mustard and avocado.

      vae

      Delete