Saturday, November 28, 2020

Grateful for Music

I am grateful for music.  I can't say I like all kinds of music, but I enjoy many.  I usually listen to classical and jazz music when I drive.  Not only are the local stations ad-free, but there's such a wide variety of pieces, and I can usually enjoy what they play.  I appreciate YouTube for making even more old and new music available.  The Caterpillar is really a connoisseur of interesting music from around the world, and his selections add a lot of variety to our atmosphere.  

I also enjoy making music.  I miss singing in the choir at church, and fiddling with a group at the mall.  But I can play our piano, and practice those fiddle tunes on my own--maybe I'll be able to keep up with the others when we meet again.

 


I'm grateful that the rest of the family is musical, too.  Dandelionslayer is a percussionist.  The Caterpillar plays brass and bass, and whatever he can get his hands on.  Scoot left his saxophone home when he set out on his mission, but he shares music in Europe with his recorders.  School band isn't really an ensemble thing these days, but Rollo enjoys his trombone and piano lessons.  D2, who used to claim that he hated music, is doing well with his clarinet lessons, and enjoys listening to classical strings.  

 


Sometimes we can even persuade them all to play together!

I've also been grateful for some inspiration to arrange and compose a few pieces myself.  Here's a link to one I wrote about a year ago.  At a Young Women activity, one of the girls lamented the short supply of Thanksgiving carols.  I challenged her to write one herself.  I don't know if she had any good ideas, but a few days later, I did.  I'm grateful to be able to share it at SacredSheetMusic.org, where I've shared a few others, and found many other pieces to enjoy from talented composers.

I love all the concerts and musical events that usually come at this season of the year.  I'll miss going out for those this year, but I've been finding some online opportunities for enjoying good performances.  I hope you will, too!

Music has such a powerful influence on our feelings, and I'm grateful to be able to listen and participate in music that soothes, peps, inspires, and pleases. 

What music do you love?

#givethanks

No comments:

Post a Comment