Saturday, January 9, 2010

Scary Tales Can Come True

It happened to us.  I was getting ready to go grocery shopping the other day, and I thought, "Maybe I should check the bank account."  I often do on grocery day, and I wanted to know about a check Dandelionslayer had forgotten to record.  I also knew that I had recently transferred plenty into checking, and I wanted to get going.  But I had the same thought again, so I did take a look.  And, lo and behold!  Weird transfers!  Unauthorized purchases!  We were victims of identity theft.

So much for hurrying out to go shopping.  Fortunately, Dandelionslayer was at home to confirm that, no, he hadn't bought that, and to share the burden of the phone calls.  The banks were helpful, and the companies cooperated.  After a couple of tense days, I think we have our money back.  The best thing is that we found out right away.  And how?  Because I listened.

When they say the Holy Ghost whispers in a still, small voice, they mean it.  I didn't receive an overwhelming feeling; no heavenly light shone down on the checkbook to get my attention.  It seemed to be just an idea, and I almost brushed it off.  Maybe if I follow enough of these impressions, they will become clearer someday.  Maybe not.  Either way, I am grateful to be a child of a Heavenly Father who cares enough to send me ideas to protect my family.  And I trust in his help to bring all our new passwords to my remembrance!

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! What a blessing to receive promptings like that, and a bigger blessing when we take the time to stop and listen. I'm so glad you were able to get everything squared away early on - with hopefully no more recurrences!

    ReplyDelete