Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Ponderizing Hebrews 8:12

For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.  Hebrews 8:12
Scoot chose this verse for our consideration this week.  It is a very hopeful message, and I'm glad he did.  I decided to take a look at the context.

In this epistle, Paul tried to convince the Jewish Christians that the law of Moses was really just a preparation for the law of Christ, and that the new covenant was even better than the old.  The beginning of this chapter reflects that purpose, but then the Lord speaks of those who enter fully into the new covenant:
I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people . . . for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.  Hebrews 8:10-11
How can we get to know the Lord?  It takes study and faith, but also action, as Jesus taught the Jews:
If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.  John 7:17
We have to keep the commandments to gain a witness that they are divine.  And as we do, our own divine nature will develop, and we will come to know and be more like Him.  The reward of knowing God is amazing:
And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.  John 17:3
If we are working hard to obey and know God, and his laws are written in our hearts, we will easily recognize when we mess up.  We'll have the faith to repent, to trust Christ to help us do better.  Then, surely, He will be "merciful to [our] unrighteousness," and prepare us for life eternal.

What are you pondering this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment