Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Ponderizing Psalm 46

In the recent LDS General Conference, Devin G. Durrant advised us to "ponderize" a verse of scripture each week. 
“So what does it mean to ponderize? I like to say it’s a combination of 80 percent extended pondering and 20 percent memorization. . . . When our minds are filled with uplifting thoughts and images, when we ‘always remember him,’ there is no room left for filth and trash."--Devin G. Durrant
For our family's ponderizing enjoyment this week, Dandelionslayer selected Psalm 46, and highlighted some passages for our focus:
1 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
 2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
 3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.
 4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.
 5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.
 6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.
 7 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.
 8 Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations he hath made in the earth.
 9 He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.
 10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
 11 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.
Isn't that comforting?  God is in charge.  If we follow Him, we need not fear.  When I read verse 8, I wondered how desolations could be reassuring, but verse 9 made it plain:  He will destroy violence, and save the meek.  Wonderful!

What are you pondering this week?



No comments:

Post a Comment