Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Ponderizing Moses 1:39

For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.  Moses 1:39
The Caterpillar chose this verse for us to ponder this week.  He has studied it in Seminary this year, and he quoted it in a strong testimony last Sunday.  It made a big impression on me when I went to Seminary, too.  It shows that not only do our lives have purpose, but our lives are God's purpose. 

Christ has assured our immortality through His atonement and resurrection.  We will all be resurrected, and live in perfect bodies some time after we die.  It is a costly gift, but He gives it to us freely.  Eternal life, living like God does, requires faith, repentance, and obedience on our part.  The more people who attain it, through the grace of Christ, the more glory God receives.  It's not a competition--He wants us all to return to Him.

As a youth, I realized that to "honour thy father and thy mother" (Exodus 20:12) goes beyond obedience.  I could bring honor to my parents by behaving in ways that would bring credit to them and the way they brought me up.  I hope I have!  Similarly, we bring honor and glory to God by walking in His ways.

In Moses 1:39, the Lord defines His own work.  But what is ours?  I found the answer here:
Behold, this is your work, to keep my commandments, yea, with all your might, mind and strength.  Doctrine and Covenants 11:20
By doing that, we also show our love for the Lord:
If ye love me, keep my commandments.  John 14:15
It is a privilege to have been a small part of God's work in bringing four people into mortal life, which is required before immortality and eternal life.  I'm trying to teach them to do their work, too, so we can enjoy eternal life together.

Wow, there's so much to ponder in this verse!  What do you see?

No comments:

Post a Comment